Sunday, September 16, 2012

Slowing My Roll- Or Jake's

Cody and I watched, "What to Expect When You're Expecting" tonight and it was hilarious. We laughed the whole time. I cried too, what's new?! It's way past my bedtime and I know I should be in bed but I have all day tomorrow to just lay on the couch and watch soap operas. I can catch up then. HA!

I had a light bulb moment tonight while I was washing dishes and I thought I would share. (I don't have a dishwasher-I spend a lot of time at the sink)  This whole school thing with Jake has had me stressed since it started. Is he in the right place, are they challenging him, is he being exposed to things that scare me, does he behave, is he bored? So many questions run through my mind ALL day when he's gone. Then, I get to school to pick him up and I am so excited to hear all about his day but when I ask him what he did I get the usual," I don't know or we didn't do anything." DRIVES. ME. CRAZY! So then I am back to the drawing board on what did they really do today? I have been hesitant on setting up a teacher conference just to touch base and see how things were going and mainly to see if Jake could start AR now instead of at Christmas since he's reading. I haven't wanted to sound like the psycho parent and the fact we live in a tiny town it would spread fast, if it already hasn't. Tonight I was washing away,thinking, okay here we are almost a month into school and I could set a conference this week and maybe I won't sound too pushy. Then, my light bulb went off. Why do I need to set up a conference? To tell his teacher that he is a smart kid and needs to start reading more at school when the gift that I have been blessed with I can help him at home? Jake is not an Albert Einstein and I am not trying to raise Albert Jr. He's been in school since he was three so he's been doing these basic skills for two years while some have stepped foot in a classroom for the very first time a month ago. As a teacher, I know his teacher realizes he's already reading and that he will need to be challenged in class. She's amazing and has been doing this longer than I have been alive. The very reason I stayed home this year was because I feel like I have missed so many important things in the boys lives so why am I trying to continue to rush things? I am making him grow up way faster than he needs to. Why can't I just let him run and play and be a KID? I promise the thirty minutes we sit down and read every night is punishment enough for him (and me) Cody and I pray constantly that our kids are well rounded. I have no doubt in my mind my children will excel in school but most of all I want them to love their childhood and have precious memories from it. I want Jake to remember Kindergarten just like every child does, he has his whole life to be a grown up and being pushed constantly to do MORE. So, with all of that being said, Jake and I will continue to read and work hard for a small part of our evenings but the rest will be spent helping mom in the kitchen, playing with Luke, throwing a ball in the front yard, and digging in the dirt. I have been blessed with the ability to teach children how to learn and it's my job to continue to teach my own regardless of what he's doing elsewhere.

I will sleep so much better tonight. Off my soap box for now!

3 comments:

  1. You are such a good Mommy for knowing this and thinking about what matters - so many of us don't! Thank you for reminding me to not be so pushy with my kiddos!! Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're doing a great job Mommy!! :)

    ReplyDelete