Wednesday, November 24, 2010

How Is He Old Enough


It happened AGAIN! About two weeks ago Cody and I were in Target looking around and I decided to pick up a few things for Jake since the weather seemed to be getting colder. Boy was I wrong! I was in the "baby" section of the store and I couldn't seem to find anything for Jake. There were very minimal 4T and I knew he really needed a 5. I stood there for a minute thinking. I saw a sales associate walk by so I asked, Ma'am, "Where are the size 4 and 5 clothes?" She responded, "Oh, they are on "this" side." I noticed she meant where all of the "boys" clothes were. Did she mean the section I would go to if I were shopping for my 13 year old nephew? Was she talking about the section that I could buy an x-lg t-shirt from 5 months ago and it would fit me? Boys clothes? My child is not a "boy" he is a toddler, and he is 3 years old. Was she serious? Did she mean I could no longer shop in the "baby" section of the store anymore? My eyes immediately filled up with tears. I'm sure being 5 months pregnant and my hormones raging were not helping one bit. And poor Cody he's just standing there like PLEASE Casey, not here. Not right now!  So, today while Jake was away at his dad's and Cody was at work I decided to go Christmas shopping alone! Target was my last stop. I was just browsing when I saw the Christmas pajamas. It didn't even hit me I was in the "baby" section AGAIN! I was looking for pajamas in a 5T. Being a Kindergarten teacher for a few years I should know that anything 5 years of age is nowhere near toddler! As I walked over to the "other side" where the size 5 was I noticed the same thing as my last shopping trip....my eyes were full of tears and how was he old enough for me to be on "this side"?
How is he old enough to be a big brother when he's not even big? How is he old enough to know he is thankful for his little brother this year when he is not even here yet?  How is he old enough to call his Uncle Stephen instead of Stee-En? How is he old enough to pick up my IPhone and teach me the tricks to play Angry Birds? How is he old enough to walk across the street, knock on Wade's door, and ask if he wants to play? How is he old enough to know that a diamond is also called a rhombus? How is he old enough to know that a "toe nail" moon is also called a crescent moon? How is he old enough to get his first progress report? How is he old enough to tell me he wants to wear pants to school because everybody else is doing it? How is he old enough to teach me that it doesn't matter what car I drive, what brand of clothes I wear, what kind of purse I carry, if I have on make-up or brushed my hair, when he's oh so little? 

I am thankful for my Mommy:

















1 comment: